Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rain!

Well the remnants of Fay are hitting us pretty hard here in old southside virginny. I think my little plasticy rain guage things says 3 inches so far in the last 48 hours.I am glad tho...my plants were dying. Though I am pretty sure If Iwanted to..I could kayak down my street.

So I went grocery shopping yesterday....and get this. I honestly was speechless...IF ANYONE has the words I should have used in this situation ...PLEASE tell me.

I was in walmart behind an elderly woman..my guess is maybe 65 or 70?? I dunno.

In this scenario I will refer to her as EW (elderly woman)

EW: What a cute baby!
me: Thanks!
EW: How old...?
me: 10 months.
EW: Ohh Are you going to have any more?
me: I doubt it,..not anytime soon anyway..
EW: Good ...we have too many unwed teenage mothers anyway. It would be irresponsible of you to do it again. Our tax dollars could be spent elsewhere.

Excuse me?

um...WHAT did you just say?

I was screaming in my head. Really ....And having these mind shots full of carnage involving old women and shopping carts.

Was I asked If I was married? Or Divorced? Or A teenager?OR ON welfare for petes sake!?!?


no...

and boy the looks you can get in a walmart line...I tell ya.
And I didnt even respond...I was like...*duh duh duh*

*pulls at hair*

What would YOU have done?
Could she not see the ring on my finger? hello! *bling bling*
Did I Look like i was about to pay with food stamps!?

*frustrated sigh*

5 comments:

Susannah Forshey said...

LMAO! But, seriously...you should've said you were married. You must be just kicking yourself!!!!!!

Susannah Forshey said...

BTW, how do you spell your last name?

Denise said...

Faith - Yay for you having a blog site!!! I subscrbe to about 40 blogs, I am so addicted to reading them every day, so it's great to add another real friend!!!

As far as the elderly woman: excuse me?!?!?!? How presumptious and judgemetal! To first off assume a teenage unwed pregnancy, and secondly to assume you were on welfare! HAD any of those things been true, you would have had really hurt feelings.

But since they are FAR from the truth, and you are a responsible woman yourself with a JOB and a husband who works hard to provide for you and Bailey, what on earth???!!! The presumtion and harshness of her is astounding!!!

I never, ever, ever can think of quick, witty responses. I think of them, lke, 8 hours later. I might have mumbled something about her being wrong, but really, what good does that do? I think the problem is not that you weren't what she assumed, it was her attitude and presumtion and rudeness. Which won't be fixed or even challenged by your saying "I'm married" or whatever. I can't even think of response right now. Except something snarky (in a sickening sweet voice) like, "Wow, you must have to practice to be as mean as you are. And to be so bad at judging, since everything you just said isn't true about me at all. I hope you think next time you see a young girl and a baby."

See? Nothing real good. Anyway, BLEH!

lislynn said...

Wow. That's a doozy :) I have the same problem of never being able to think of an appropriately graceful smack-down fast enough. I'm usually in the car going "Doh! That's what I should have said!!!

Sending you some linky love....

Polly said...

Oh, Faith! Gee whiz! :( While I'm terribly indignant for your sake, still I can't help feeling a little sorry for her, because she sounds really bitter at somebody. Don't know who, but it gets spouted at the nearest available object, apparently. Man... :(

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com